This position provides substantive legal immigration services to Catholic Charities of Southwestern Ohio (CCSWO) clients under the supervision of the ILS Attorney/ILS Director. The Immigration Advocate will carry an individual caseload and will be primarily responsible for the management of cases, including case deadlines, drafting and submitting client’s applications and petitions for immigration benefits, collecting client information and maintaining the confidentiality of client information, and communicating with clients regarding their cases.
This position will work out of our Hamilton office location (1910 Farigrove Ave, Hamilton, OH 45011) normal working schedule is Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30-pm, and reports to the Immigration Legal Services Director.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assume primary responsibility for the legal representation of clients in their applications and petitions for immigration benefits, including family-based immigrant visa petitions, adjustment of status, deferred action, employment authorization, travel authorization, renewals of status, consular processing, and humanitarian-based petitions, as needed and under the supervision of the Immigration Attorney/ILS Director.
- Guide clients through the legal process for applying for immigration benefits and assist clients in navigating the various government agencies responsible for reviewing and approving applications and petitions for immigration benefits.
- Identify and adhere to case deadlines, including deadlines to file applications for benefits and submit responses to Requests for Evidence.
- Work with clients from diverse backgrounds on the aforementioned applications and petitions for immigration benefits.
- Collect and maintain confidentiality of client documents and information required for filing for immigration benefits.
- Follow case management systems for individual caseload in line with CCSWO policies.
- Draft, organize, and finalize aforementioned applications and petitions for immigration benefits for CCSWO clients.
- Communicate regularly with clients to keep them informed of the case process and major developments in the case.
- Communicate regularly with the Immigration Attorney/ILS Director regarding assigned cases.
- Work in a team environment to further the mission of the ILS Department.
- Collaborate with community partners to provide legal services to CCSWO clients.
- Participate in 2-4 legal clinics/trainings per year as required by the ILS Director.
- Carry an active caseload as directed by supervisor.
- Submit monthly reports to ILS Director.
- Provide direction and assistance to CCSWOH volunteers and interns as directed by supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: none
Minimum Qualifications and Skills Required:
- A bachelor’s degree in legal studies, paralegal studies, or a related field.
- Two (2-3) years of case management experience.
- Fluent in written and oral English and any of the following: Spanish, French, Swahili, Arabic, Nepali, and/or any other language spoken by CCSWO clients.
- Familiarity with computer systems, including Microsoft Office suite, Office 365, SharePoint, and legal case management programs.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- High energy and passion for Catholic Charities’ mission.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Prior Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) accreditation highly preferred.
CCSWOH offers comprehensive benefits package including group health, dental, vision insurance, 401k employer contribution, employee assistance plan, life insurance, and disability coverage. Visit https://benefits.catholiccincinnati.org/ to view specifics on group insurance coverage. Immediate eligibility to 15 days of PTO and 11 paid holidays per year.
Starting pay range for this position is between $16.35-$20.05/hr, depending upon experience.