Date Posted: April 8, 2021
St. Clement Catholic Parish – in the Village of St. Bernard (Cincinnati), Ohio, is seeking a (part-time?) Director of Liturgical Music. This position serves the Parish’s approximately 800 families in an urban area surrounded by the City of Cincinnati. This position serves the parish community as principal musician, organist/keyboardist and choir director according to the highest professional standards of this profession. He/She aims to help the worshipping community to pray by supporting liturgies with inspirational and quality music. He/She must have a good knowledge of quality repertoire available for liturgical music programs for adult choir, organ, and congregation.
Skills, Knowledges, and Abilities
- Provides service by playing for parish English-speaking liturgical celebrations, including weddings and funerals, and special events. Current Masses are scheduled at Saturday Vigil Mass 4:00 pm, Sunday Mass 9:30 am, and during the school year Children’s Wednesday Mass 7:45 am.
Holy Days Masses include: January 1 Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God; Ash Wednesday; Easter Triduum; August 15 Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary; November 1 Solemnity of All Saints; December 8 Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception; December 25 Solemnity of the Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ; Confirmation Mass; Advent Penance Service; Lenten Penance Service.
- Trains, directs, and supervises choirs, instrumental ensembles and cantor programs.
- Prepares worshipping assembly for liturgies through rehearsals prior to liturgies.
- Provides for liturgical updating and education of the parish.
- Introduces new music and encourages congregational participation.
- When opportune, communicates through parish bulletin/Facebook/website.
- Cooperates with the liturgical music projects of the Deanery and or Archdiocese when feasible.
- Must have a high degree of proficiency as an organist as attested to by formal credentials and/or performance audition.
- Must have skill as an effective choral conductor as demonstrated by formal credentials and/or a choral audition (rehearsal).
- Must have a knowledge and appreciation of the Church’s liturgical tradition as well as current liturgical practice.
- Responsible for the preparation and administration of the annual liturgical music budget, including purchase of music, payment of additional musical personnel, copyright fees and permissions, and worship aid programs.
- The qualifying degrees or credentials for professional status for Parish Director of Liturgical Music can be met in a variety of ways such as degree from an accredited music college or program, and/or experience and demonstrated ability.
- The applicant should have experience in preparing and accompanying Catholic Liturgical music.
The position reports to the Parish Pastor and is a member of the Parish Staff and of the Parish Worship Commission. (This position is paid every two weeks). Application deadline is May 8, 2021.