- This event has passed.
New Teacher Preparedness for Long-Term Success
September 29, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 4:30 pm
The joys and pains of starting a teaching career during this unique moment in history are especially profound. In this highly interactive workshop, Dr. Tina H. Boogren offers beginning teachers a road map for navigating their crucial first years in the classroom, whether they’re working with students in person, virtually, or via blended learning.
Designed for teachers in the early stages of their careers, as well as mentors, coaches, and supervisors, this two-day training identifies six phases every beginning teacher goes through, offering crucial advice and strategies for each, pertinent to today’s unique challenges. Participants will return to their schools (or home classrooms) with a yearlong action plan centered around research-based instructional and self-care practices that are essential to not just surviving, but thriving.
- Explore the six phases of beginning teachers—(1) anticipation, (2) survival, (3) disillusionment, (4), rejuvenation, (5) reflection, and (6) second anticipation—and how the pandemic has impacted each phase.
- Understand the feelings and challenges associated with each phase.
- Discover practical strategies for instruction, classroom management, and relationship-building, tailored to various learning environments.
- Learn how to practice self-care to avoid early career burnout that so often leads to teachers changing careers.
- Develop a plan for decreasing stress and increasing student achievement.