- This event has passed.
Strategies for Teaching Small-Group Guided Reading
July 27 @ 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
What you’ll learn during this workshop:
- Learn how to develop a schedule where small-group reading occurs in tandem with students working independently in literacy stations.
- Obtain ways to utilize teacher-led small groups during the reading block.
- Understand how to interpret the reading levels of students and match them with appropriate text.
- Gain strategies to support readers at different stages of reading.
- Learn how to tie whole-group mini-lessons to small-group instruction.
- Learn types of before, during, and after-reading strategies and how they fit into small-group reading lessons.
- Acquire methods for supporting readers by incorporating effective oral reading strategies.
After participating in the workshop, you will be able to:
- Use small groups to support and deepen mini-lesson skills first taught during whole-class direct instruction.
- Introduce a new text to students in a way that provides support for them to be able to decode and understand the text.
- Increase the amount of time students spend reading the whole text.
- Cultivate student interaction with the text during reading.
- Organize your space and supplies to make small-group instruction both efficient and effective.